Tuesday 23 January 2018

Two Peregrine in flight with prey

Today's weather was a bit blustery from the southwest and overcast with Cornish mizzle rolling in on a regular basis but I figured that I might just about manage to get out of the wind at the Peregrine location that I visited a few days ago,  It seemed OK weather wise at first but lacking in Peregrine and then after a while I suddenly heard before seeing a Peregrine being hassled for its prey in flight by what looked like it might be last years offspring which should be self sufficient and within its own territory long before now,



The Peregrine with prey opted to land on a ledge very close to the one used on Friday so I figure that it was the same bird and but for the second birds presence would have stashed it away  The prey had already been well dismembered with just the chest carcass and wings intact and apart from picking a few bits off of its ribs this adult bird didn't show much interest and must have already eaten its fill.





As the weather deteriorated the first bird flew off quite quickly leaving the prey on the open ledge and the second bird perched about ten metres away moved straight in attacking the ribcage immediately while I struggled to achieve some sort of reasonable exposure in the deteriorating gloomy conditions






The second bird soon had the ribcage detached from the redundant wings which it abandoned to fly off out of sight with its grizzly prise and it seemed to me that perhaps one or both of this adult pair of Peregrine might still be feeding their off-spring from last year so close to the time they are about to go through their breeding cycle all over again,


I was getting wet and had struggled to keep my kit dry for long enough so I headed for home early   but still pleased to have seen this surprising Peregrine behaviour !!

No comments:

Post a Comment