Wednesday 15 January 2020

Pair of Female Roe Deer

The wind and rain cleared away from Cornwall during the night with a promise of light westerly breeze and plenty of sunshine which has been a bit thin on the ground of late.  I was keen to get out having been out of action for several days with a tummy bug and decided to check out some of our local Roe Deer providing the boggy conditions underfoot on the moorlands would allow.


I had the above young doe in my sights within thirty minutes of my arrival and followed it at a gauged distance for nearly an hour as it foraged its way in and out of a reed bed.




It was then joined by a more mature female that was looking thick set and possible pregnant




The pair were obviously known to each other and carried on foraging within close contact of each other for another hour.




The younger of the two was getting restless and eventually climbed over a hedgerow and moved on to another reed bed.




The older doe decided to hunker down at the edge of the first reed bed and kept one eye on me for twenty minutes before she finally relaxed and closed her eyes for my last shot below at which time I made a quiet retreat to leave them in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment