Monday 2 July 2018

GONE FISHING !!





I decided to make today the start of my  'Summer Fishing Season ' where I put down my long lenses and try to revive a few rusty fishing skill around some of the back waters of west Cornwall during the high level of tourism.

Well with my fishing tackle all set up and ready to go the first thing that happened was that a cheeky Robin decided to befriend me or perhaps more to the point my lunch and bait boxes.

My camera was still in the boot of the car so I just had to take a few shots of this Cheeky Chappy before handing out to many tit bits.


As I settled down to start fishing along came a very friendly moorhen that was also looking for hand-outs,  It probably remembered the liberal amounts of dog biscuit bait that it consumed during last summers fishing season and was back looking for more so it just hung around the water margins making the occasional call until some were provided in exchange for a few portrait reflection images.



I eventually managed to cast my bait into the Millpond close to an off bank floating weed bed around which several dragonflies and damselflies were busy laying their eggs while also distracting my attention from the fishing.


Half an hour later with no time put into the fishing the real star of the wildlife show arrived by way of a fine female Kingfisher that I spent many hours working with during last year.


This bird still uses some of the same fishing perch points as last year and I was now hooked on trying to predict which one she would use when she caught a fish but this time I was without the benefit of a far closer working position.


I managed to get this a first of her three visits to fish on the correct perch point and it was nice to see the bird shake off the water from her dive before consuming the small fish.





With the fish being so small she opted for an immediate follow on dive but she went in the opposite direction with the second fish.


So how did the fishing go ??  lets just say that the kingfisher caught a few more fish than I did !!

No comments:

Post a Comment