Saturday 15 December 2018

Tehidy Gold Rush


Rushing from tree to tree at Tehidy wildlife park yesterday this agile lightweight Goldcrest
( Europe's smallest bird ) was busy extracting insects, eggs and grubs from the underside of the few leaves remaining on the birch and willow trees,

This bird appeared to be almost neckless which tends to further compact its tiny form, It was in a race to extract insect life from every tree leaf before they fell and it was certainly living in the fast lane and a tease to extract clear images from.

I was working with a 500mm lens fitted with a 1.7 Tele-converter fitted which helped composition relating to the small size of the bird but its fast movements made my narrow field of view a bitch to track and compose my composition and the poor overcast light levels were difficult for shutter speed and ISO control with my settings ending up on minimum F6.7,  1/1000th sec and ISO 6400.

Such was the level of its commitment that this busy little guy seemed oblivious to me or all else that was going on around it as it worked its way towards me and suddenly at its closest point as fast as it had arrived it was gone again but not before I had extracted:    'A little Gold '


















No comments:

Post a Comment