Friday 1 February 2019

South Coast Peregrines





I ventured out on our coldest morning so far this winter with the thermometer reading -2c   With a clear sky and the promise of some good early morning light I headed down to Longrock fields looking for Roe Deer sightings but no joy there so I moved on along the south coast in a biting wind to check out local Peregrines.

The sun was now above the horizon and I found them sheltering from the easterly wind on a high well lit rocky clifftop,  They were perched at distances of between one and three metres from each other for the following thirty minutes or so but the female was restless and her body language said that she was hungry.





Within a few more minutes she was off on the hunt as she disappeared over the clifftop.  She was back no more than five minutes later with a small kill locked in her talons and this time she put more distance between her and the male suggesting that this male Chaffinch was not for sharing.







                              

She quickly devoured the prey and and then rested up with her feathers all fluffed up for the next hour to combat the effects of that biting cold wind that was by now beginning to make me shudder so I took my last shot of her trying to regurgitate a pellet of bones and feathers etc and headed for home to put a few logs in the burner.


No comments:

Post a Comment