Monday 5 August 2019

Green Woodpecker



I waited around three hours for this very cautious Green Woodpecker to show in the field that I was working yesterday afternoon and when it arrived I know that it saw me hunkered down in the hedgerow two hundred yards away.

It watched my unmoving location from a large hedgerow tree for a further twenty minutes before it decided that it was safe enough to drop into the field to feed on ants and insects.

The bird was moving away from me in the field so with several shots already in the can I started to move closer using what little cover I could find along the way.

Within a few minutes even though it was busy feeding it picked up on my slow distant movement and returned to the safety of the trees and waited for my next move










My next move another twenty minutes later was to head for home and leave this very cautious bird to carry on feeding undisturbed !!

No comments:

Post a Comment