Thursday 5 December 2019

Heathland Heron




Heathland Grey Heron are a breed apart.   They are so skitty that on the quiet moors ponds they are always leaving before you even think that there might be one there.

Over several years all that I have ever managed have been parting tail shots and fly-bys but yesterday I was hunkered down in a rough stone and bramble covered wall alongside a pond waiting for Owls when a Grey Heron dropped onto the bank close to the waters edge.

The Heron saw me once it had landed,  I didn't move a muscle for twenty minutes and it eventually settled and moved to the waterline and at thirty minutes it got its efforts reward by catching a small fish.

The heron moved on across the pond ever watchful of my position and at forty minutes I had to move one hand to catch my slipping glasses and when I looked back the Heron was gone.










I don't know how many pairs of glasses that I have cursed, dropped, broken and lost while working out in the field or how many subjects I have lost or not even seen but I am finally having replacement lenses fitted to both eyes shortly.

The first, my right eye lens is being replaced on the 23rd December,   A much appreciated Xmas present from the NHS       So it will be ' Goodbye ' to glasses and I might just be able to see you and my wildlife subjects in 2020 !

No comments:

Post a Comment