Friday 20 October 2017

Female Kingfisher portraits

Having recently replaced my remote shutter release assembly I wanted to check out the new one for working distance so off I went early AM to Millpool to use the assembly to work at a distance of around 75m from a fishing post used by a very shy female Kingfisher,  Selection of camera and lens settings all need careful preset consideration and in this case with low light levels and shadows I set the camera tripod at the closest possible working distance of around 10m from the post, Added a 1.4 converter to my 500mm f4 lens for full frame images, Camera settings were F5.6,  1250th sec and Auto ISO set to a max of ISO 6400  I also used -2/3rds of a stop compensation to  keep shutter speeds high while accepting a little more noise from the ISO within the images,  The female Kingfisher is not resident at Millpool but shows up on around 20% of the occasions that I work in this area and then its a question  of which tree stump that she selects to fish from,  Today was a good one as she turned up  on my selected stump within ten minutes of my arrival,  No fish caught on this occasion but a photogenic kingfisher portrait taken this close will on most occasions produce a few dramatic images without props. I was pleased with the portraits images posted below and glad to see that all was well with my new remote shutter assembly,  Happy Days !!






No comments:

Post a Comment