Friday 24 November 2017

Mute Swan terretorial behaviour Part 2


A  Mute swan territorial attack shown above that happened PM on the 20th September and reported on my blog of the same day was a bit of an unfinished story,  When I left Marazion marsh already very late for an important appointment due to staying on to look out for the battered victim of this assault,  I luckily met Rod Farnes , a prominent local wildlife Photographer as I walked back to my car at 4.30 PM,  I was feeling uneasy that it seemed like the resident Swans were hanging around waiting for me to leave to continue their assault on what was now an immobile defenceless swan that was unmoving in the posture show in the second image below,



I related my concerns to Rod and pointed out the swans location and while doing so we could both see the resident male moving back across the warren towards the battered bird,  Rod told me he would head along to the location to look out for it and I went on my way still feeling uneasy.

Well I caught up with Rod farnes yesterday and asked him the outcome of this event and he informed me that by the time he had walked along to the location the aggressive male swan was already back on top of his victim jabbing at its eyes and head in the same manner that I had witnessed and that he also had to climb over the wall in his efforts to separate them,  The resident male would not leave the scene obviously intent on destroying this trespasser within his territory so Rob called the RSPB located locally in Penzance and Jenny Parker and colleagues came along and rescued the badly beaten bird and took it off to the local bird hospital in Mousehole for treatment and recovery.

Whilst I realise that this territorial behaviour is all part of the natural world and in a different circumstance the victim might well have been the aggressor but it is difficult to stand by and watch a large bird taking such a pasting just because of its bad luck in trespassing in this territory,  Many thanks to Rod Farnes and Jenny Parker for completing this rescue and I hope that anyone else witnessing a similar situation will take a similar course of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment