Friday 3 November 2017

Ruined Roe Deer shoot

Not for the first time I experienced a ruined Roe deer shoot again this morning,  Our local Roe deer territory is triangular in shape and covers about sixty acres of fields and marshy woodland, it has quite busy roads on all its boundaries and over the last couple of days some of the field hedgerows have been cut back which is standard practise in general to areas adjoining local roads,  I arrived before dawn to set up  a low level tripod and camo cover close to the field gates and waited for the deer to show as the light levels slowly picked up,  Two Does arrived at 6.54am and to accommodate  my 500mm lens and 1.4 converter added to improve the subject size per frame over the working distance my settings started at  Auto ISO set to a max of ISO 10000,  Minimum aperture of F 5.6 on aperture priority and a challenging shutter speed of 1/13th sec,  The two deer gradually moved across the field in my direction and I took single shot images each time they stopped to feed,  I carried on in this manner until 7.09am when shutter speeds had improved to 1/50th sec and things were looking good for faster speeds as the light levels improved,





                 
   And this is when all my plans went wrong,  A delivery van driver had spotted the two deer over the lowered hedgerow as he drove by,  He turned off of the road at high speed into my field entrance with headlights on and his radio blaring,  He then saw me stand up at the corner of the gate and stated how nice it was to see the deer which were by now on the gallop at the far side of the field,  I stated that it had been just fine seeing the deer when they were relaxed and feeding but  Not so him and his untimely arrival !!  But I will be back another day just like many others that have gone before until I get the close focus high shutter speed images that I want rather than the slow 1/50th sec blurred action image posted below that was the finish of todays exercise.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment