Monday 23 April 2018

Cuckoo Crazy




Peter Tonkin and I returned to our Cuckoo location this morning hoping to capture more images but even though we heard the Cuckoo many times we never had a visit to our expected tree perch in three and a half hours.

I had to do a detour to pick up my camera in a difficult to reach location so peter carried on back to the car park with his kit.  As I retrieved my camera I heard the Cuckoo calling from a distinct location and decided to take my chances and follow the calls for half a mile through rough gorse and heather.

As I reached it 'Sod's law prevailed and the Cuckoo saw me first and left me standing as he flew off in the direction I had come from to land in the tree where we had just spent the morning waiting for him,

I decided to sit and wait in the middle of a rough grass field leaving the trees and hedgerows clear for the Cuckoo if it returned and return it did around forty five minutes later to perch in a tree line seventy five metres from me.

When it had settled and started calling I started taking shots without the benefit of any cover and judged the birds reaction as I inched my way forward stopping as required until I was less than twenty metres in front of it to produce the portfolio of images posted below.   Happy Day !!













No comments:

Post a Comment