Monday 16 April 2018

Mating Peregrine Sequence



Having missed out on a Good Peregrine mating sequence yesterday I decided to return to the same location today to try my luck once again.

This time I "Got lucky"following a three hour period of very little activity,  So I was pleased when first a female appeared to perch on the cliffs facing me and shortly afterwards a male flew in to repeat his mating performance of yesterday.

I was pleased that this time the birds mated facing towards me but they were much further away than yesterday at probably in excess of a hundred metres and their grey plumage tended to merge with the colours of the vegetation and rock face behind them.

But I guess we have to count are blessings as they come and it was certainly a joy to watch the Peregrines active mating behaviour which should hopefully help in producing a good clutch of fledgling in the oncoming months.
















It was interesting to see how the male Peregrine turns and balls up his lethal talons when mounting the females back which must impair his ability to balance,  but even so the female is beginning to show signs of wear and tear from their active behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment