Monday 19 February 2018

Mating Toads


I watched a fine Buzzard in the previous blog predating on frogs or toads this morning.  When I arrived home I decided to check out our large garden pond which already contained masses of frog spawn,  I could see a few toads floating on the surface with their heads and huge amber eyes reflecting on the water surface but I had expected to see more.



Then ripples spreading out from behind a recess formed by large granite rocks gave the game away with a dozen or more male toads writhing over each other in a very confined space,  I have to assume that there was a female toad caught up in there somewhere and would expect to start seeing the tell-tale string egg lines showing very shortly



Their mating seems to be a very public and social affair,  But I guess its each to their own !!

No comments:

Post a Comment