Friday 12 October 2018

Buzzard taking a Vole. Part 1




Following the passing of blustery winds and rain during the morning I spent several hours of the afternoon watching out for a reported Bittern at Marazion Marsh.

Within an hour one of the Marsh Buzzard came in from behind me attacking something in the rough grass warren about twenty metres in front of me.

To look at the image below you would think that the buzzard had missed its prey and was considering what to do next while I captured a few nice portrait shots.

But this is not the case for as with most birds of prey the Buzzard was waiting for its lethal talons to complete its kill down in the rough grass before moving in with its head.


The bird now also had time to consider the attention that I was giving it at close quarters with my camera and it didn't like it.


So with its Vole prey firmly secured in one talon the bird treated me to a nice take off sequence with the intention of putting more space between us before devouring it.




The Buzzard flew into the safety of a low growing marsh thicket about one hundred further along the warren where it settled down to consume its prey and I was still able to watch its behaviour.


But this was not to be the end of the story.  Check out: Buzzard taking a frog Part 2  !!

No comments:

Post a Comment