Monday 29 October 2018

The early Hunter



It was bright with our first sharp frost of the winter this morning and with only a gentle easterly breeze I decided to take a trip up to Chapel Carn Brea to look out for Short-eared Owl's but no show.

It was dark when I arrived but I could see the outline of an Owl already out Quartering the field to the north of the car park,

As dawn broke I could just make out the light  plumage of a slow moving Barn Owl,  I picked a spot to set up my tripod and within ten minutes I was able to start photographing it at high ISO settings which improved as the morning light lifted over the next thirty minutes.

The bird afforded me three close passes near the hedgerow and dived into the rough grass field during two of them but with no prey taken on either occasion.

The Barn Owl was beginning to look really photogenic as the first direct rays of the sun came up over the down but it was just like sounding an alarm as the bird stopped hunting immediately and headed off home which was perhaps a little frustrating but:  

                                         What a lovely way to start a keen winter's day !!


























No comments:

Post a Comment