Sunday 19 August 2018

Fox Encounters

Yesterday was a good day for Fox encounters,  The first one was completely coincidental and the second was planned

While driving down the lane to the Millpool yesterday morning an unusual event led to me capturing a few images of a fine Dog Fox:

As I slowly progressed along the lane I disturbed a squirrel picking up hazel nuts from the track,  It ran off along the lane in front of me and was immediately followed by a previously unseen perched Buzzard that was now flying along behind the Squirrel just a foot off of the ground creating a lovely action packed moment.

The buzzard came so close that it lifted the back end of the squirrel up off the ground with its talons but the squirrel shook free leaving the Buzzards talons full of fine tail fur as it dived into the nearest hedgerow.

I had been to slow to capture this action with acceptably sharp images but out from the same hedgerow that the squirrel dived into came a flustered looking dog fox that took up the running where the squirrel had left off and now I was on the case.

When it had put several metres between us the fox paused looking back to see what all of the commotion had been all about,  I had stopped the car to work on it,  The Buzzard had flown off and the squirrel was long gone so the disturbed fox now ambled off at a more leisurely pace to find a quieter spot to relax.








My second encounter was planned and one that I can work on most evenings during the summer season

For the last eight years we have been blessed with visiting local foxes and cubs looking for scraps and the odd peanut as light levels dim at dusk,

When I occasionally work on them I use diffused DTTL flash and fire the camera via remote control from inside our house but in general we tend to leave them to their supper in peace.

The two images below are of one of just two cubs that are visiting are garden at the moment and this one sometimes poses quite nicely




No comments:

Post a Comment