Tuesday 21 August 2018

Glossy Ibis behaviour portraits



The Glossy Ibis that I blogged on Sunday had shown very well even holding its ground at distances of around six metres so I returned to Croft Pascoe PM yesterday looking to capture some behaviour images.

The bird was still showing well but unfortunately the sun wasn't but I settled down for a three hour shoot and snapped away at this amazingly avid feeder which had never stopped feeding for a total of the five hours that I had watched it over the two days.



It was happy to feed in the shallow dramatically reduced water level of the pool or it seemed just as happy foraging through the muddy margins where I watched it predating on small frogs, small fish and worms almost continuously,










With careful field skills and a very cooperative bird working distances were eventually reduced to four to five metres at which time the bird stopped feeding for a while to complete some serious preening,    At one stag it even took a short siesta right in front of me!!














Siesta over,   This amazing Ibis treated me to a waking Yawn at 3.5 metres minimum focal distance and then it was off on the feed all over again and was still chomping away when I left.            

                                                                            Happy Days !!

No comments:

Post a Comment