Thursday 23 August 2018

Millpool life today,



An old Cock Pheasant that was the king pin for calling for and mating with most of the females that showed in his field adjacent to the Millpool through the summer seems to have lost his prowess.

His call is depleted and all of his fine tail feathers are now missing in fact you could say that he looks a shadow of his former self apart from the fact that he has certainly put on weight


When a female shows its now what used to be the second in command that takes over and rushes in to service the females invitation to mate.






So it looks like                 'Every Pheasant has their Day before they fade away'


For the second time in the last couple of weeks I found another male Southern Hawker dragonfly  that was perched high in a willow tree.

I waited for a bit more action but with the temperature on the low side and a cloudy sky it did n't look like this dragonfly was going anywhere so I moved in for a close-up portrait  before getting back to my fishing.




Back at my swim this Comma butterfly paid me a very brief visit before moving on around the Millpool vegetation.


No comments:

Post a Comment