Tuesday 6 March 2018

Peregrine mating sequence

   

I spent this morning working with a pair of Peregrine on the south coast of Cornwall,  I was looking for mating behaviour shots and for several hours I was treated to aerial displays and even a prey handovers,

Things were looking good for mating at one stag with the pair quite close and the female calling in a submissive posture but then along came the rain and both birds took cover at different locations on the cliffs,

I was running out of time for a medical appointment which was getting a bit tight when with improved weather the female returned calling the male who flew in directly behind her to respond immediately and I was treated to a front facing mating display of which I took the whole sequence clicking up fifty two images before along with the male Peregrine I made a swift exit, 

At 150m distance this mating sequence was a bit of a stretch to achieve top quality images but these sort of shots are no 'Gimmy '  and the birds are notoriously difficult with regards to working distance tolorance so you have to work within a distance that they accept on any given day.                                                                                   











No comments:

Post a Comment