Tuesday 27 March 2018

The Reluctant Mate



This amazing female Peregrine sits on a close perch point calling her mate who can both see and hear her calls from a little further along the cliffs. He is a proving to be an excellent prey provider as can be seen by her extended and full crop but this morning he seems to be very reluctant to mate.

For the previous hour or so the female had been calling the male and flying to each perch point that he had occupied when he ignored her calls but each time he exited as she arrived.

This evasive behaviour provided me with plenty of pair interaction and flight images as posted below but I was surprised at the males reluctance to mate on this occasion as he had always been very active in the past.

I could still hear the females piercing calls above all else as I walked back to my car to come home, I hoped that they would get it all together later as I fear that the female might end up losing her voice if the situation continues.










Gordon James FRPS   Among many of his talents Gordon was a marine conservationist and excellent underwater photographer for whom I have a high regard,  Just six months ago while battling with cancer Gordon sat on the cliffs of Cornwall with me watching these Peregrine's behaviour and the smile on his face in the above image is akin to how he looked back then and that is how I will always remember him as I follow these birds on-wards .

Yesterday my wife and I travelled to Bath Crematorium to bid Gordon our final Fairwell, 

No comments:

Post a Comment