Sunday 24 March 2019

Buck Roe Deer




A mature Buck Roe Deer was the first of six deer to catch my attention this morning as it lead a group of females out from a small coppice.

This fine looking buck was shedding the velvet from its rather raw looking set of new antlers and the loose velvet was hanging down over his forehead.

As I watched this buck from about a hundred metres I was surprised when thirty minutes later it was joined by the young buck that I had worked on the previous morning,  it moved out into the long grasses and was welcomed by the older male.

On previous occasions when I have seen two males in the same territory the dominant male has always seen off  the younger bucks.

The two males eventually walked off back into the coppice and it was nice to see the older male stop and tangle its antlers into the tree branches to help remove the annoying velvet.











No comments:

Post a Comment