Friday 10 March 2017

Cornish Mizzle

Having checked out the CBWPS sightings page last night I decided to visit Marazion Marsh this morning to try for a few shots of yesterdays reported Male Marsh Harrier, but on arrival around  9am  I could not even see the marsh, never mind the Harrier,  The mist was that thick that even the rabbits on the warren were bumping into each other,


So off I went to Drift Reservoir perhaps for a Great Crested Grebe 'Display' or a lucky glimpse of yesterdays sighting of an Otter.  I felt my way down to the shoreline and trekked off towards the Hide thinking the mist would clear shortly, Did it Hell !  I disturbed a Cormorant at the hide grabbing a few flight shots as I did so,  then sat there for a hour wishing I was somewhere else,


My wife rang from Cornwall College at Camborne to arrange a lift home later, throwing in a comment about what a lovely sunny morning it had been there,  So what the hell was I doing sat at Drift in the gloom,  Off I went to Stithians reservoir to try my luck in the southern cut-off hide where resident birds such as the Male Chaffinch and Reed Bunting pictured below were immediately sighted,



The pair of  Great Spotted Woodpecker both put in an appearance and Jack Hicks who was already in the hide before my arrival spoke of his surprise when the Male had 'Drummed ' on the hide roof earlier,  Little Grebe and the previously seen two female Pintail also put in an appearance, but no sign of the Water Rail or Sparrowhawk,  A Moorhen put in several quite bold visits below the far feeder to provide me with my final image of the day illustrated below.


No comments:

Post a Comment