Thursday 28 December 2017

Kennell Vale Dipper

With good light levels and gentle breezes today seemed to be a good day to revisit Kennell Vale to try my luck with the illusive Dipper,  The first two phone images below show the area that the Dipper seems to favour which is about 100m upstream from the bridge,



One of the Dipper was showing quite nicely when I first arrived but I had under-estimated the popularity of this location on a nice day during school holidays and the bird aborted its underwater larva hunting and disappeared downstream as the first family of visitors passed by on the opposite side of the river,  The Dipper did return later but was soon to be disturbed again within minutes of its arrival, By noon the trickle had become a regular steam of visitors and as much as it was good to see families out enjoying the natural beauty that Kennell Vale has to offer, I conceded,  accepted that I should pull out and return on a similar day during term time to enjoy the behaviour of these amazing birds when they are undisturbed.





While waiting for the Dipper to re-show I watched a couple of Grey Wagtails feeding and bathing in the water and a closely approaching local Robin befriended me and ended up flying onto the end of my 500mm lens while I still had my finger on the cameras shutter release,  I have had enough for today but I will edit these images and present Kennell Vale Part two and maybe three in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment