Thursday 14 December 2017

Spoonbill at Ryan's field

Wildlife took a bit of a back seat today as I spent some time at Specsavers checking out sight issues effecting my vision with the onslaught of Cataract in both eyes, Predictable the NHS do not consider them bad enough to replace the lenses at this stag, so it seems  Things have to get worse before they will get better!!  I'm not to impressed with this result and have ordered my white stick and what happened to that fine old proverb: 'Prevention is better than cure'  but I did come away with a new pair of vari-focal glasses to try to help with my photography in the mean time,  So, off of my Soap Box and onwards and upwards.


I dropped into Ryan's field hide on my way home at the same time as a semi resident Spoonbill so I sat and watched its interesting behaviour in somewhat blustery and stormy conditions which pulled the light levels all over the place,  The gusting winds were unbalancing this large bird but it set off round the shallow lagoon demonstrating its side ways but very effective fishing technique and it was soon throwing back a few shrimps and worms





Following the fishing the sun came out briefly as the Spoonbill went into preening mode which it carries out very skilfully considering what looks like a very clumsy bill



The Spoonbill looked about as impressed with the blustery weather today as I was with the NHS so it decided to get its head settled down over its back to ride out the storm and I went home to write about it while I could still see what I was doing !!


No comments:

Post a Comment