Tuesday 26 December 2017

Nikon 2x Teleconverter,

I was lucky enough to find a Nikon 2x Teleconverter in my Xmas Stocking this year,  I have tried them before with various Nikon flagship cameras and always been disappointed with the results and sold them on but I heard some reports from photographers using them on the Nikon D5 body with increased success due to the cameras excellent ISO capabilities,  The increase in focal length doubling to a 1000mm certainly has its place with distant subjects and smaller one at closer distances too,  The first two images below show ariels installed on a water tower 380m from my home using the 500mm on the first and 500mm +2x converter on the second


For small subjects closer in I have worked with a female Blackcap,  All images were taken at ISO 6400 in poor light levels to achieve shutter speeds above 1/200th sec with max aperture of F4 on the straight 500mm and a max of F8 available with the 2x converter,  The first un-cropped image below was taken the straight 500mm lens and the following two are un-cropped with the 2x converter added




I am certainly more impressed with this 2x converter when used in combination with the Nikon D5 body than I have been on previous cameras especially bearing in mind the poor light levels prevailing today but it is early days yet and I look forward to seeing what might be improved upon during the New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment